There’s nothing quite as satisfying as producing your own free energy for living off the grid. The only problem is the electric companies may not be to happy with you as your electric bill goes down.
The following video will show you step by step how one man built some solar panels from start to finish. He attempted to make it as detailed yet simple as possible. These panels cost him very little to make, and it’s a fun weekend project.
The panels shown in the video are not encapsulated but they work well and low cost not for on roof installation best to be close to ground for inspection.
This is what you’ll need to make your solar panels:
- Solar panels, Multi-crystalline 0.5v 4w (6×6 inch short tabbed cells)
- Glass panes x 2
- Soldering iron (45 watts is perfect)
- Side cutters
- Brush (pointy end for holding down contact areas when soldering, and the brush to brush flux.)
- Clamp (if you don’t want to hold the tabs by hand)
- A weight (1/2 pound or so)
- Caulking gun
- Clear tape
- Electrical tape
- Double baking tape
- Foil tape
- Tile spacers
These would come in real handy in case of a blackout/power outage. We really like this idea and feel it worth your time.